Thanksgiving is right around the corner which means hoards of family and friends will be converging together for a day of festivities. It doesn’t take long to “catch up” with regards to the job, the kids, etc. Then here it comes. That dreaded awkward silence. Well, here’s a list of questions that will help keep the conversation flowing.
· Tell me something about you I don’t know.
· If you could go anywhere, where would you go? Why?
· What’s the oddest [funniest, most embarrassing, etc] thing that’s happened to you since we last talked?
· What’s the best gift you ever gave someone? Received?
· Name five things you can’t live without.
· What’s the worst job you ever had?
· Tell me about your most memorable vacation. Your best? Your worst?
· What would you do if you won the lottery?
· Have you ever broken the law?
· What underutilized skills do you have? In other words, what are you good at that others might not know about?
· Tell me about your guilty pleasures.
· What one book do you think should be required reading?
Remember, conversation is a two-way street. Offering your perspective will inspire others to do the same. Relax, enjoy this time with family and friends. And if all else fails, turn to the NFL; the Bears will play the Lions, the Eagles will take on the Cowboys, and the Seahawks will challenge the 49ers.
Do you have an unusual conversation starter? Please share in a comment below.