Last year, I found the original recipe for this chocolaty, gooey, nutty, and delectable dessert on the Kraft Foods website. I'd like to thank my friend, Allie, for alerting me to this recipe! As usual, I've done some fiddling with the ingredients, and I offer you the final, decadently rich result. Read through the entire recipe before starting so you can assemble all the necessary ingredients. Enjoy!
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 box Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix, 16.5 oz.
1/4 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
1 egg, slightly beaten
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Stir together the butter, the cake mix, ¼ cup evaporated milk and the egg. Mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Press half the mixture into the bottom of a 13" x 9" baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. This is the crust of the squares. Set aside the remaining half of the cake batter.
4. Now you’ll need:
1 bag Kraft caramels, 14 oz.
1/3 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
5. While crust bakes, unwrap caramels and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/3 cup evaporated milk and heat in microwave for 3-4 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until caramel is completely melted. Stir until smooth and set aside.
6. Now it's time to assemble. You’ll need:
1 cup walnut pieces
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
7. Sprinkle 1/2 cup nuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chunks on the hot crust. Drizzle melted caramel over the nuts and chocolate chunks, being careful to spread caramel to the edges. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup nuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chunks over the caramel. Drop spoonfuls of the remaining fudge cake batter onto the caramel, pressing into caramel with the back of a spoon.