I have been buying chocolate covered dried fruit. The packages are small and expensive, so I decided to try making my own. I created this recipe on the fly. The chocolate bark becomes melty pretty quickly, so it’s not a treat you’d want to give a child (unless you don’t mind seeing brown, smudgy fingerprints on your walls and furniture).
Easy Chocolate Bark
4 cups semi-sweet chocolate (I used Nestles chocolate chips)
1 cup pecan pieces
1 cup walnut pieces
1 cup dried blueberries
1 cup dried tart cherries
1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
2. Melt chocolate in a glass container in microwave oven on high for 1 minute. Wait 1 minute. Then microwave on high for another minute. Stir chocolate chips until smooth. Microwave oven wattage varies, so adjust the time according to your microwave oven.
3. Add nuts and fruit to the melted chocolate. Stir until well combined.
4. Pour chocolate mixture onto waxed paper and spread mixture to the edges. Try to get nuts and fruit in a single layer (rather than mounds of nuts/fruit).
5. Cool completely in refrigerator. Once the bark is hard, remove to a cutting board and cut (or break) bark into serving size pieces. Store bark in the refrigerator in a ziplock plastic bag. Keeps for a week (but there’s no way it will last that long).
Other types of nuts and dried fruit can be substituted. Try almonds or peanuts or raisins or apricots. I don’t think you could mess this up! It’s delicious and easy. Enjoy!