My son and his girlfriend came to visit this weekend. He is vegetarian; she is vegan. So I made a banana apple bread that—even though it contains no eggs or dairy—turned out DELICIOUS. It’s light and moist and full of flavor.
This makes a wonderful afternoon “tea time” or “coffee break” snack. I hope you’ll try this recipe even though it’s got that label… vegan. J
Banana Apple Bread
1 3/4 cups flour (I used 1 cup all purpose and 3/4 cup spelt flour)
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup sugar
2 large, ripe bananas
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tart apple, grated
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1. Preheat over to 350°F. Prepare a loaf pan using non-stick spray.
2. Mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, sugar. Stir until combined.
3. Add the banana to a food processor. Pulse to mash. Add the milk, molasses, oil, and vanilla to the processor bowl and process until smooth.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Add the apple and walnuts, stir just until evenly distributed. Do not over mix.
5. Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for a bit before removing from pan.
I am always looking for good vegan and vegetarian recipes. Do you have a favorite? Do you know any vegans or vegetarians?