Mother's Day Afterthoughts

Norma Jean
This blog post is about my 2 mothers. Yes, I was blessed to have two. The first one, Norma Jean, gave birth to me and raised me to the age of 13. Then she was gone--tragically and suddenly--and I was left broken-hearted.

My second mother was Doris Lillian. She came into my life when I was 15. We struggled for a few years (oh, boy, did we struggle!), but we finally found that mother-daughter love. I will be forever grateful to Doris for mothering me when I was so unlovable.

But these afterthoughts aren't about sadness. They're about happy memories and gratitude. That's what Mother's Day is all about.

Mother (left) with her sisters



So I want to remember these amazing women.

Norma Jean was a wonder woman! She could do anything. She was creative, artistic, musically gifted, intelligent, and beautiful. I have often thought she was been born in the wrong century. If she'd had the nurturing and encouragement women receive today, she'd have ruled the world! 


Doris Lillian - my second mom


Doris Lillian was quiet, unassuming, and also beautiful. She was one of the strongest women I have ever met in my life. She succeeded in convincing my father to stop drinking, and that amazing feat changed him into someone I could love. But above all else, I will love Doris for the way she loved my children. My heart always melted when I saw her interacting with my boys. She made my children feel as if they were her treasure, and for that I will always be grateful!

Can you sum up in a few sentences why your mother is (or was) special? 

2 comments:

Susanne O'Leary said...

You are so right, Donna. Mother's Day should be a happy one. It must have been so terrible to lose your mother at such a young age. But you were lucky yo have such a loving step mom.

My own mother is still alive. Old and frail but so sweet and fun. She is my best friend and I feel so blessed to have her.

Jen Mc said...

What a beautiful post!

My mom (and dad) are amazing! They raised 5 kids on "farmers wages" through the early 80s. We didn't have a lot but we had love, health and food. They constantly ran to our activities and have always supported us in everything.