Snickerdoodle Squares


When autumn's chill arrives, my first thought is to turn on the oven and bake something delectable. Apple tart, pumpkin roll, sweet potato pie...and Snickerdoodles!

I fiddled with my Snickerdoodle cookie recipe, looking for a way to make it a one pan dessert that was both delicious and time-saving. I think I hit pay dirt on my first try.

While these 'blondie-type' squares baked, my house filled with the scent of warm, sweet cinnamon. The flavor was buttery and rich. These squares are wonderful! If you try the recipe, please stop back in and leave a comment. 



Snickerdoodle Squares

Ingredients:

½ cup butter
½ cup vegetable shortening
1½ cups sugar
3 eggs
⅓ cup sour cream
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Instructions:

  1. Cream butter, shortening, and sugar.
  2. Add eggs, one at a time, scrapping down the bowl between eggs.
  3. Mix in sour cream.
  4. Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, baking powder, and salt.
  5. Mix into butter/shortening/sugar mixture.
  6. In a separate, small bowl, combine ⅓ cup sugar and cinnamon.
  7. Sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar mix evenly into a greased 9X13 pan.
  8. Spread batter on top.
  9. Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture evenly over batter.
  10. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds lovely!

BooksAndPals said...

I'll definitely give these a try.

Kellie Kamryn said...

That sounds delish! Thanks for the recipe :)