Simple Apple Cake #Recipe for #Foodies @DonnaFaz


I had some time on my hands, so I deep-cleaned my refrigerator. You know what I mean—I completely emptied it out, removed the shelves for hand-washing, wiped down the inside walls, and then put everything back. I threw away anything I couldn’t remember buying (pickle relish, cocktail sauce, creamed horseradish, etc.); the jars were nearly empty anyway. There were 3 apples in the crisper drawer that were on their last legs, so I decided to use them to bake a cake. I found a recipe in my Betty Crocker Cookbook and decided to fiddle with it. Instead of all white sugar, I used half white and half brown. I added some cinnamon and increased the apple content. All in all, I’m very happy with this Simple Apple Cake. I hope you like it, too.

Simple Apple Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 medium apples, peeled and grated (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped (for serving, optional)

1   1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch square cake pan with baking spray.

2   2. In large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in apples and spoon into pan. Spread out evenly.
3
     3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer and then cut into squares. Serve warm with whipped cream (optional).

Other options: Feel free to toss in a half cup of raisins or a half cup of toasted, chopped walnuts… or both! I didn’t have them on hand when I made the cake or I’d have added them.

No comments: