Nova Scotia Oatcakes #Recipe

After a recent trip to Nova Scotia, I couldn’t wait to get home and try my hand at making Oatcakes. These delicious, toasty-oat cookies are offered everywhere, in grocery stores and bakeries, restaurants and even chocolate shops. My husband and I loved them. As you can see in the picture below, I cut my Oatcakes into circles. But you could go the easy route and cut them into squares. I melted 1/2 a cup of dark chocolate baking chips and coated the bottoms of about half the cookies I made. This recipe makes about 10 to 12 nice size cookies, depending on how thin you roll out the dough.



Nova Scotia Oatcakes 

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup oat flour (or all purpose)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In a mixing bowl, add oats, flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
  3. Add butter and brown sugar and stir just until a stiff dough forms.
  4. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out the cookies and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Re-roll any leftover dough and cut more cookies. (Or roll the dough into a rectangle and cut into squares.)
  5. Bake for 12-18 minutes, or until set and edges are slightly golden.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a few pennies when you use my links to access the Amazon Store. Thank you!

 

 

 

 

No comments: